In 1986 Australian Museum experts uncovered the fossilized bones of a Labyrinthodont amphibian on Long Reef.
In the late 50’s (1958-1959) we first experimented with a ‘short’ board.
Bill, a local fishing identity, remembers back in the mid 1940s on a local school visit seeing a shipwreck on Long Reef’s north side.
The Boatshed Fisherman's Beach 1960’s thru 1984. Note: The Boatshed
During the Second World War the tram-line from Manly was closed, which was at first far more significant to the locals than the war.
A Copper mine was in operation during the 1930s.
All the fishermen’s huts except “The Big Hut” were removed in the 1950’s.
The first European to lay eyes on Long Reef was Lieutenant James Cook, RN and his crew, when they sailed past the area in 1770.
On the reef beneath the point a reef heron was solemnly stalking in the shallow pools, amongst the rocks in search of food.